THE DEVELOPMENT OF A LONG-RANGE REHABILITATION PLAN FOR US-59 IN DISTRICT 11 -- PRELIMINARY REPORT. INTERIM REPORT
In this study, a rehabilitation plan is to be developed for US-59 throughout District 11 (Lufkin). The rehabilitation plan will cover a relatively long time period and could include one or more life cycles. There is the possibility that any one (or a combination) of several pavement designs could be used on a specific section of the highway, depending on the expected life and cost of the treatment. Since some of the possible pavement structures have not been constructed in the district, it was desirable to obtain construction, costs, and some measure of expected life by placing a series of test or observation sections with relatively small lengths. This report contains the preliminary work toward the development of the rehabilitation plan, and the development of several pavement designs that are proposed for the test sections. Much of the old jointed pavement on US-59 contains shattered slabs that have been overlaid with asphaltic concrete. As a part of the rehabilitation study, the asphaltic concrete was removed from a small area and the old concrete was repaired using polymers and epoxies at the cracks and by removing and inserting new joint assemblies. A portion of this report is devoted to that repair.
- Research study title: A Long-Range Plan for the Rehabilitation of US-59 in District 11.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hoskins, B E
- McCullough, B F
- Fowler, D W
- Publication Date: 1991-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt concrete; Concrete pavements; Driver rehabilitation; Epoxides; Joints (Engineering); Life cycle analysis; Life cycle costing; Long range planning; Pavement design; Polymers; Repairing; Test sections
- Uncontrolled Terms: Joints; Rehabilitation; Removal; Repairs
- Old TRIS Terms: Epoxy
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I61: Equipment and Maintenance Methods;
- Accession Number: 00625745
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-92+987-1, Res Rept 987-1, CTR 3-11D-89/1-987-1
- Contract Numbers: Study 3-11D-89/1-987
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 7 1993 12:00AM