MONITORING OF SILICEOUS RIVER GRAVEL AND LIMESTONE CONTINUOUSLY REINFORCED CONCRETE PAVEMENT TEST SECTIONS IN HOUSTON 2 YEARS AFTER PLACEMENT, AND DEVELOPMENT OF A CRACK WIDTH MODEL FOR THE CRCP-7 PROGRAM. INTERIM REPORT
In describing the effect of coarse aggregate type on the performance of CRCP, this report documents the design, construction, and monitoring of 32 test sections in Houston, Texas. Constructed to evaluate the performance of pavements built in accordance with the CRCP-89(B) design detail recently developed by TxDOT, these test sections were monitored to determine the field performance of CRCP 2 years after construction, looking in particular at crack spacings and crack width. Then, using the observed performance of the different coarse aggregates, the study team evaluated the recently developed CRCP-89(B) design detail. Finally, using the CRCP-7 computer program, the predicted performance was compared with the measured performance of the CRCP test sections. Based on this comparison, a new model to be used with the CRCP-7 program -- one capable of predicting crack widths -- was developed.
- Research study title: Evaluation of Performance of Texas Pavements Made With Different Coarse Aggregates.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Jimenez, MAO
- McCullough, B F
- Hankins, K
- Publication Date: 1992-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 120 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Coarse aggregates; Computer programs; Continuously reinforced concrete pavements; Cracking; Forecasting; Gravelly soils; Limestone aggregates; Pavement design; Pavement performance; Rivers; Silica stone; Spacing; Test sections; Width
- Uncontrolled Terms: Crack spacing; Crack width; Siliceous river gravel
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces; I36: Aggregates;
- Accession Number: 00625533
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-92+1244-4, Res Rept 1244-4, CTR 2/3-8-90/2-1244-4
- Contract Numbers: Study 2/3-8-90/2-1244
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 16 1993 12:00AM