SIDE IMPACT CRASH TESTING: THIRTY MPH SIDE IMPACT OF A HONDA CIVIC SI AND AN ECCENTRIC LOADER BREAKAWAY CABLE TERMINAL (ELT)
This report contains the results of a side impact crash test involving a 1984 Honda Civic Si and an eccentric loader breakaway cable guardrail terminal (ELT). The test was performed at the Federal Outdoor Impact Laboratory located in McLean, Virginia. The automobile impacted the ELT at 32 mph (51.5 km/h) on the driver's side door. The test data indicate that the hypothetical driver of this vehicle would be subjected to acceptably low values of impact velocity with the vehicle interior, ridedown accelerations, and head accelerations. The extensive intrusion of the passenger compartment, however, would place the occupant in such a collision at grave risk of serious injury.
- Test Report August 1991.
Vanderbilt UniversityEngineering Center for Transportation, Operations and Research
Nashville, TN United States 37235
Federal Highway AdministrationTurner-Fairbank Highway Research Center, 6300 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA United States 22101
- Ray, M H
- Faramawi, M I
- Carney III, J F
- Publication Date: 1992-3
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Breakaway supports; Crash injury research; Crash tests; Crashes; Guardrail terminals; Hazards; Impact; Injuries; Injury severity; Risk assessment; Side crashes; Speed; Testing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Breakaway cable terminals; Impact speed; Intrusion
- Old TRIS Terms: Federal outdoor impact laboratory, foil
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I84: Personal Injuries; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00625086
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-92-047, 3A5f4032
- Contract Numbers: DTFH61-88-R-00092
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 15 1993 12:00AM