ANALYSIS AND DESIGN OF BRIDGE BENT COLUMNS. FINAL REPORT
The behavior of bridge bents under spatial loads was investigated to evaluate the suitability of the current office procedure of the Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation (TSDHPT) for analyzing and designing slender concrete bridge bent columns. Two computer codes were developed for this purpose. The linear method of analysis uses the conventional direct stiffness method of solution and considers linear material behavior. The AASHTO moment magnifier method was used to approximate second order effects. The design forces from the linear analysis were compared with those from the TSDHPT approximate procedure. The effect of variation in live load positions over the bridge deck was examined. The nonlinear method of analysis, developed in this study, uses a fiber model and an updated Lagrange finite element formulation to predict the space behavior of multistory concrete bents. The analytical results for typical bents were compared with those from the TSDHPT approximate method and the AASHTO moment magnification procedure. The sensitivity of the results to bent column slenderness and foundation flexibilities were examined in terms of predicted bent behavior.
- Research study title: Bent Column Analysis and Design.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- HAQUE, M
- Roesset, J M
- Johnson, C P
- Publication Date: 1988-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 76 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Approximation (Mathematics); Bents; Bridge substructures; Columns; Design; Finite element method; Live loads; Nonlinear systems; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Magnification; Structural behavior
- Old TRIS Terms: Linear method
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00625029
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-90+1129-2F, Res Rept 1129-2F, CTR 3-5-86-1129-2F
- Contract Numbers: Study 3-5-86-1129
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 5 1993 12:00AM