EROSION CONTROL ON HIGHWAY CONSTRUCTION
As a result of the public concern for the quality of the environment, as manifested by the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, much attention has been directed to the control of soil erosion and sedimentation of streams on highway construction projects by both the federal and state governments. Highway construction operations that may contribute to erosion are clearing and grubbing, construction of haul roads, earth moving and grading, ditch construction, and foundation excavation and channel changes at stream crossings. Curtailment of construction for the winter months without adequate provision for controlling erosion can result in severe erosion and sedimentation damage. This report of the Highway Research Board provides information on design procedures to minimize erosion, construction practices to control erosion, beneficial landscaping procedures, and maintenance practices to sustain erosion control installations. More specifically, the report provides information on practices on: (a) seeding, planting and mulching; (b) design of sediment basins and traps; (c) slope protection; and (d) berms. To develop this synthesis in a comprehensive manner and to insure inclusion of significant knowledge, the Board analyzed available information (e.g., current practices, manuals, and research recommendations) assembled from many highway departments and agencies responsible for highway planning, design, construction, and maintenance. A topic advisory panel of experts in the subject area was established to guide the researchers in organizing and evaluating the collected data and for reviewing the final synthesis report. As a follow up, the Board will attempt to evaluate the effectiveness of this sythesis after it has been in the hands of its users for a period of time. Meanwhile the search for better methods is a continuing activity and should not be diminished. An updating of this document is ultimately intended so as to reflect improvements that may be discovered through research or practice.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/05475570
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1973
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 52 p.
- NCHRP Synthesis of Highway Practice
- Issue Number: 18
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0547-5570
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Berms; Environmental impacts; Erosion control; Mulching; Planting; Road construction; Sedimentation; Slopes; Soil stabilization; Streams
- Old TRIS Terms: Slope protection
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00130506
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM