THE TOP ISSUES IN HIGHWAY BEAUTIFICATION LAW: A RESEARCH FORECAST
The paper which highlights the need for additional research in the field of highway beautification, reviews congressional efforts, discusses the need for travel information funding needs, the highway travel and recreation interface, the integration of highways and their environment, the elimination of non conforming uses, and the management of solid waste. The paper attempts of identify the nature of the problems and show how, in this complex area of policy science and technology, one problem relates to another. A research program responsive to these needs should be organized under 10 topics: restatement of the goals of highway beautification; planning and designing visual quality for highway corridors; preserving and enhancing design quality in man-made environments; parkways, service roads and leisureways; meeting motorists needs for information; eliminating roadside blight - junk and junkyards; eliminating outdoor advertising in roadside areas; and financing highway beautification.
- Proceedings of the Los Angeles, California meeting November 12 through 15, 1973.
Washington, DC USA 20004
- Netherton, R D
- Publication Date: 1973-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: p. 1-12
- Issue Number: 59
- TRT Terms: Beautification; Driver information systems; Environmental engineering; Financing; Highway planning; Highway transportation; Highways; Junkyards; Laws; Parkways; Recreation; Recreational roads; Research; Roadside advertising; Solid waste disposal; Strategic planning; Transportation corridors
- Old TRIS Terms: Highway beautification
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00129913
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM