ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH NEEDS IN TRANSPORTATION
The research problem statements in this Circular represent the results of a holistic approach by many individuals and organizations concerned with the identification and development of operational solutions to environmental issues in transportation. Twenty-nine Transportation Research Board Division A Technical Activities Committees with input and support from the 50 state departments of transportation and the Federal Highway Administration contributed to this process. The statements are categorized in fourteen environmental areas and prioritized within each area by those in attendance at a workshop held in Denver in November 1991. These statements are provided as guidance to financial sponsors, such as governmental agencies (federal, state, regional and local), research institutions, industry, the academic community, and others, in allocating scarce resources for the development of functional solutions to environmental problems in all modes of transportation. The fourteen environmental areas are: wetlands; wildlife and ecosystems; social and economic impacts; cultural resources; air quality; water quality and hydrology; highway/air/rail noise; aesthetics and visual quality; hazardous materials transport; hazardous waste; energy conservation and alternative fuels; environmental review process; operations and maintenance; and urban form.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1992-3
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 65 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 389
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Aesthetics; Air quality; Alternate fuels; Cultural resources; Culture (Social sciences); Economic impacts; Ecosystems; Energy conservation; Environmental quality; Hazardous materials; Hazardous wastes; Hydrology; Maintenance practices; Noise; Research; Reviews; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation; Visual perception; Water quality; Wetlands; Wildlife
- Uncontrolled Terms: Environmental reviews; Operation and maintenance; Urban form; Visual impact
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation research
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Environment; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Society; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00619268
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Feb 29 1992 12:00AM