LOCAL GOVERNMENT INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDING IN OREGON
This report is concerned with the ways Oregon's local governments finance infrastructure development and the ways the state can assist them with this financing. For the purposes of this report infrastructure is defined as streets and roads, water systems, sewerage systems, storm drainage systems, parks, open space, recreational facilities, police and fire stations, primary and secondary schools, and libraries. The report considers both local effort and state assistance in two major sections. The first section discusses the revenue raising mechanisms available to Oregon's local governments, the financing mechanisms that convert revenue streams into projects, preliminary analyses of the effects of Measure 5, and the potential to raise additional revenue from or reduce the infrastructure costs of new development. The second section describes existing and proposed state programs and explores additional ways the state could assist local governments with infrastructure finance. The report relies on several sources of information including: Interviews with local finance officials in twelve jurisdictions in growing areas of the state; Review of existing studies, reports, statutes, local ordinances, and pertinent literature; Consultation with experts in the field; and, The teams' experience and knowledge of infrastructure finance.
Portland State UniversityCenter for Urban Studies, P.O. Box 751
Portland, OR United States 97207-0751
Regional Financial Advisors, IncorporatedPortland, OR United States 97201
- Publication Date: 1990-12
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Data analysis; Finance; Financing; Governments; Guides to the literature; Infrastructure; Interviewing; Literature reviews; Local government; Mathematical analysis; State government; Urban growth; Zoning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Financial sources; Growth management; Jurisdiction
- Geographic Terms: Oregon
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00623637
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1996 12:00AM