FIELD EVALUATION OF COARSE AGGREGATE TYPES: CRITERIA FOR TEST SECTIONS. INTERIM REPORT
Concrete pavements are subjected to a variety of stresses and, as a result, the pavement slab is in continuous motion. Some of the more significant stresses present are environmental loads, or those developed by the thermal and shrinkage movements of the paving material. When the environmental loads are combined with the wheel and gravity loads, conditions exist which control the ultimate life of the concrete pavement. The environmental stresses are a function not only of weather but also of the material properties of the pavement. Therefore, in pavement design, it becomes important to consider the material properties of the paving materials from an environmental viewpoint. This report presents the background for studies concerning the effects of the concrete mix on the performance of continuously reinforced concrete (CRC) pavement. The initial work in this study resulted in a suggeested design standard for CRC pavement wherein the longitudinal steel percentage was varied depending on the coarse aggregate type. The information for the standard was developed using theoretical models. Therefore, it was desirable to verify the design standard using empirical data from specially-prepared test sections. This report describes in detail the variables involved and the design of the experimental test sections. The report also suggests a monitoring plan and a technique for determining an empirical verification of the design standard.
- Research study title: Evaluation of the Performance of Texas Pavements Made with Different Coarse Aggregates.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Texas Department of TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Federal Highway Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hankins, K
- Suh, Y C
- McCullough, B F
- Publication Date: 1991-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Coarse aggregates; Continuously reinforced concrete pavements; Design standards; Field tests; Mix design; Pavement performance; Test sections
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I32: Concrete; I36: Aggregates;
- Accession Number: 00623572
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWATX-91+422/1244-1, Res Rept 422/1244-1, CTR2/3-8-90/2-1244-1
- Contract Numbers: Study2/3-8-90/2-1244
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1996 12:00AM