12 TOOLS FOR IMPROVING MOBILITY AND MANAGING CONGESTION
This booklet describes 12 tools that are being used to reduce traffic congestion. They are described in order of increasing complexity, and grouped in four general categories: basic tools; immediate-action tools; advanced tools; and new tools. Basic tools include (1) traffic signal improvements, (2) expanding the road system, and (3) suburban-scale transit; immediate-action tools include (4) jam busters: clearing incidents fast, (5) transportation management associations (TMAs) and trip reduction ordinances (TROs), and (6) high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes: buses and carpools; advanced action tools include (7) light rail transit, (8) toll roads: direct user financing, and (9) land use strategies to reduce driving; and, finally, new tools include (10) super streets: a strategic approach to managing arterial highways, (11) telecommuting: the stay-at-home alternative, and (12) smart cars on smart highways: intelligent vehicle-highway systems.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0874207185
Urban Land Institute625 Indiana Avenue, NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC United States 20004
- Publication Date: 1991
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Busways; Carpools; High occupancy vehicle lanes; High occupancy vehicles; Highways; Improvements; Incident management; Intelligent transportation systems; Land use planning; Light rail transit; Mobility; Ordinances; Public transit; Telecommuting; Toll roads; Traffic congestion; Traffic lanes; Traffic signal control systems; Transportation management associations; Travel demand management
- Old TRIS Terms: Incident clearance; Reserved lanes; Super streets
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00621737
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0-87420-718-5
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 30 1992 12:00AM