ICE-DETECTION SYSTEM EVALUATION. FINAL REPORT
This evaluation consisted of interviews with SCAN ice-detection system users and evaluations of the manpower and material savings associated with the use of the system as well as the possible influences the system may have on accidents which occur during winter conditions. It appears that salt/sand usage and overtime costs have been reduced by the use of the SCAN system. Anecdotal information suggests that there have been fewer winter accidents at one instrumented site. The system provides relevant information to maintenance decision makers. The overall effectiveness of the system is dependent on how users accept and will use the information.
Colorado Department of Transportation4201 E Arkansas Avenue
Denver, CO United States 80222
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Woodham, D
- Publication Date: 1991-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References;
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost effectiveness; Decision making; Detectors; Ice; Performance evaluations; Safety; Snow and ice control; Traffic safety
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Safety and Human Factors; I62: Winter Maintenance;
- Accession Number: 00620562
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CDOT-DTD-R-91-10
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 31 1992 12:00AM