GUARANTEED RIDE HOME: TAKING THE WORRY OUT OF RIDESHARING
The report describes how to set up a guaranteed ride home (GRH) program as an element of an integrated commuter transportation program. Such programs promote ridesharing by making sure car or vanpool members have transport available to them if an emergency arises of if they have to work late. The costs of such GRH programs are relatively low, since they are used infrequently, but they have high value as an 'insurance policy' for potential ridesharers. Options for providing such rides include company cars, subsidized taxi service, rental cars, community sponsored shuttles, and arrangements with the local transit operator. The document describes how to set up a GRH program, explores the various options for providing service, and describes the experiences of a number of programs in Southern California.
- Record URL:
Commuter Transportation Services, Incorporated3550 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA United States 90010
- Publication Date: 1990-11
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Commuters; Commuting; Ridesharing; Vanpools
- Identifier Terms: Guaranteed Ride Home
- Subject Areas: Highways; Passenger Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00619659
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-T-91-09
- Files: NTL, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Feb 29 1996 12:00AM