AN EVALUATION OF SELECTED TRUCK MOUNTED ATTENUATORS (TMA'S) WITH RECOMMENDED PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATIONS. FINAL REPORT
In June of 1989, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) contracted with the texas Transportation Institute (TTI) to develop a set of performance specifications for truck mounted attenuators (TMA's). The objectives of this project were to (1) assess the performance of several truck mounted attenuators and then (2) develop and propose the criteria that define an "acceptable" TMA. These criteria will be used by the Equipment and Procurement Division (D-4) of the Texas Department of Transportation in setting minimum performance requirements for TMA's purchased by the Department. This report is the first of three volumes. The purpose of this report is to detail the work conducted during the course of the study, and to present the study findings, conclusions and recommendations. More specifically, this volume provides an overview of the study, along with the results obtained during crash, vibration and moisture tests on seven different makes and models of TMA's. Comparisons are drawn between the different attenuators that were tested, and a set of performance specifications for TMA certification is proposed.
- Research study title: Development of Performance Specifications for Truck Mounted Attenuators.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763
- Griffin III, L I
- Zimmer, R A
- Campise, W L
- Mak, K K
- Publication Date: 1991-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 75 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Crash tests; Crashes; Moisture content; Performance based specifications; Performance evaluations; Quality of work; Specifications; Testing; Truck mounted attenuators; Vibration tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Moisture susceptibility testing; Test results; Vibrational testing
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I61: Equipment and Maintenance Methods; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00618796
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TX-91/991-1, Res Rept 991-1, TTI: 2-4-89-991
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-4-89-991
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 31 1992 12:00AM