INTELLIGENT VEHICLE HIGHWAY SYSTEMS (IVHS) COMMUNICATIONS STANDARDS: RESEARCH NEEDS AND IMPLEMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
The Communications Committee (A3A01) of the Transportation Research Board sponsored a Communications Standards Workshop on June 20 and 21, 1990, in Los Angeles to address the issue of Intelligent Vehicle Highway System (IVHS) standards. This Circular briefly describes the workshop objectives, presentations, and working groups' topics, then presents in greater detail the workshop findings. This material is organized as follows: Specific Research Needs (Working Group 1); International Compatibility (Working Group 2); Commonality and Interoperability (Working Group 3); Content and Format (Working Group 4); and Processes for Developing Standards (Working Group 5). The problem statements for each working group are ranked in decreasing order of priority. Included at the end of this document is a list of workshop attendees (Appendix A), the workshop agenda (Appendix B), the IVHS glossary (Appendix C), and an International Organization for Standardization (ISO) reference model for Open System Interconnection (OSI) (Appendx D) which was identified by this workshop as an appropriate framework for defining IVHS communications standards.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1991-12
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 383
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Communications; Development; Frequency (Electromagnetism); Identification systems; Intelligent transportation systems; International; Methodology; Ratings; Research; Standards; Strategic planning; Workshops
- Uncontrolled Terms: Compatibility; Content; Identification
- Old TRIS Terms: Form; International standards
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00618093
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Dec 31 1991 12:00AM