OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE OF TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES: STATEMENTS OF RESEARCH PROBLEMS
One hundred and ninety three problem statements contributed by 24 committees are presented here. In the area of communications, the statements include those relating to a highway electronics system, forecast of communication needs for analysis of transportation spectrum requirements for land transportation systems, transceiver for motorist and communications, audio signing, and automatic vehicle identification and location techniques. Fifteen problem statements are discussed in the area of traffic control devices, and 8 statements in the field of motorist information systems. Areas of research related to fixed- source highway lighting are set forth, and problem statements related to railroad-highway grade crossings are detailed. Proposed research in vehicle operating characteristics in outlined. Proposed research in the area of road user characteristics include studies relating to elderly drivers, the incluence of drugs, first aid, perception-reaction time, and other driver-related aspects. Studies related to pedestrians are also proposed. Motorist services, simulation and measurement of driving, maintenance and operations management, system and personnel problems are forth. Research statements relating to traffic law enforcement, roadside maintenance, maintenance of traffic control devices, parking and terminals, and the operational effects of geometrics are outlined. Research statements in the following areas are also included: freeway operations, winter maintenance, maintenance operations, transportation of hazardous materials, highway capacity and quality of service, traffic flow theory and characteristics, traffic records, effectiveness of operational measures, and council committees.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/0360859X
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1975
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 129 p.
- Transportation Research Board Special Report
- Issue Number: 158
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0360-859X
- TRT Terms: At grade intersections; Communication systems; Driver information systems; Drivers; Electronic equipment; Highway safety; Highway traffic control; Human characteristics; Maintenance; Motorist aid systems; Operations; Pedestrians; Research; Street lighting; Traffic control devices; Traffic law enforcement; Vehicle characteristics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver characteristics
- Old TRIS Terms: Electronics (Traffic)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00128806
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM