RADIONAVIGATION LOCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR SURFACE USERS IN CANADA: PRESENT AND FORECASTED EQUIPMENT USES. IN: CONFERENCE RECORD OF PAPERS PRESENTED AT THE FIRST VEHICLE NAVIGATION AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS CONFERENCE, TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA - SEPTEMBER 11-13, 1989
This report presents an estimate of the present extent of uses of radionavigation/location equipment by surface users as well as a forecast of extent of use by the year 2000. Radionavigation/location systems included in this report were grouped into three major types of systems: active satellite systems represented by the GEOSTAR example; passive satellite systems represented GPS example; and ground based systems represented by the LORAN-C example. The study was structured as a direct investigation rather than a random sample survey to estimate present and forecasted use patterns by sectors in a cost efficient way. The methodology comprised five phases: documentation review and expert interviews; development of interview guidelines; development of alternative radionavigation systems evolution scenarios; interviews with current and potential ground surface users; and, data synthesis. Radionavigation systems development scenarios were the object of a number of in-depth interviews with experts. Estimates and forecasts pf use patterns were grouped as follows: public service, goods movements, private, military, agriculture and other ground surface users. Present-use estimates were made in terms of number and types of devices per sector; forecasts are in terms of percentage of fleet or other relevant criteris, type of device and trends from 1988 to the year 2000.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0969231628
- The Conference was sponsored jointly by IEEE , the Vehicular Technology Society, Toronto Chapter of IEEE, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, and Transport Canada.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)Operations Center, 445 Hoes Lane, P.O. Box 1331
Piscataway, NJ United States 08855-1331
- Publication Date: 1989-9
- Pagination: p. 157
- TRT Terms: Automation; Communication systems; Driving; Mobile communication systems; Navigation; Radio; Radio equipment
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00610704
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0-9692316-2-8
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 30 1991 12:00AM