AN EVALUATION OF THE HOUSTON HIGH-OCCUPANCY VEHICLE LANE SYSTEM. INTERIM REPORT
This report evaluates the operation of the Houston freeway high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane system through calendar year 1990. As of the end of 1990, HOV lanes were in operation on four Houston freeways: Katy Freeway (I-10); North Freeway (I-45); Northwest Freeway (US 290); and Gulf Freeway (I-45). Since 1988, an annual report has been prepared through this research project that summarizes the status and effectiveness of the HOV improvements. This research report provides an analysis of data related to: 1) operation of the HOV lanes; 2) operation of the freeway mainlanes; 3) combined HOV lane and freeway data; and 4) data relating to transit usage and operations. Both a "before" and "after" trend line analysis and a comparison to control freeways are used as a means of assessing the impacts of the HOV facilities. As of the end of 1990, 46.5 miles of barrier-separated HOV facilities were in operation. Over 67,000 daily person trips are served on the HOV lanes; this represents a 50% increase in usage compared to 1989. Sixty percent of total person trips on the HOV lanes are being served by carpools and vanpools, with the remaining 40% being served by buses.
- Research study title: A "Before" and "After" Evaluation of the Committed High-Occupancy Vehicle Transitway Projects.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Christiansen, D L
- Morris, D E
- Publication Date: 1991-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 228 p.
- TRT Terms: Before and after studies; Buspools; Busways; Carpools; Data analysis; Freeway operations; Guideways; High occupancy vehicle lanes; High occupancy vehicles; Impacts; Mathematical analysis; Traffic lanes; Trend (Statistics); Utilization; Vanpools
- Geographic Terms: Houston (Texas)
- Old TRIS Terms: Reserved lanes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00618051
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-89/3-1146-4, Res Rept 1146-4, TTI: 2-10-89/3-1146
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-10-89/3-1146
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 31 1991 12:00AM