SAFETY FENCES WITH DEFORMABLE SPACERS
GELEIDERAILCONSTRUCTIES MET VERVORMBARE AFSTANDHOUDERS: VERSLAG VAN DE LITERATUURSTUDIE EN DE UITGEVOERDE SIMULATIES
When in some situations a limited space is available so called crash barriers are constructed, while flexible safety fence constructions are applied when more space is availa ble. In the report the concrete New Jersey Barrier is considered as a crash barrier. The safety fence with deformable spacers can be an alternative. The crash barrier is stiff, while the flexible safety fence construction can bend easily. In a normal safety fence the flexibility is achieved when in collision the poles can cut through the ground. For the construction with deformable spacers the flexibility is achieved by the deformation of the spacers. During the deformation, energy is absorbed. A literature review is made, and simulation tests are carried out to set specifications for the construction and use of safety fences with deformable spacers.
- Available only in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. All others refer to National Institute for Road Safety Research SWOV, P.O. Box 170, 2260 AD Leidschendam, The Netherlands.
The Hague, Netherlands 2594 AW
- VAN DE POL, WHM
- Publication Date: 1989
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash avoidance systems; Crash injury research; Crashes; Fences; Flexibility; Guardrails; Modulus of deformation; Research; Safety; Safety engineering; Spacing; Structural design; Surface course (Pavements)
- Old TRIS Terms: Flexible surfacings; Safety fence (Excludes guard rail); Spacers
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00615855
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-89-46
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1991 12:00AM