FACTORS AFFECTING THE PERFORMANCE OF BRIDGE DECKS IN VIRGINIA. FINAL REPORT
A detailed examination was made of 34 bridge decks, 11 to 30 years old, containing uncoated reinforcing steel. These bridges are located throughout Virginia. Cores were taken from each to evaluate the quality of the concrete with the objective of determining the relationship of concrete properties with the long-term performance of such bridge decks. It was shown that the greatest deterioration in these decks results from the ingress of chloride ions into the concrete, thus confirming the need for concretes with low permeabilities to be used in bridge decks. Low permeability is especially important where uncoated reinforcing steel is present. Some of the bridges examined in this study were constructed prior to 1966 when changes were made in the Virginia Department of Transportation's specifications. However, other than entrained air content, there is a relatively narrow range of measured quality parameters for these concretes, and most are considered to be of acceptable quality. Accordingly, specific numerical relationships between the concrete properties studied and the environmental and traffic conditions or the deterioration of the bridge decks were not established.
- Record URL:
- Project title: Predicting the Performance of Hardened Concrete.
Charlottesville, VA United States 22903
Richmond, VA United States 23219
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ozyildirim, H C
- Halstead, W J
- Publication Date: 1991-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge decks; Chlorides; Concrete; Cores (Specimens); Deterioration; Performance; Permeability; Physical properties; Time duration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concrete properties; Long term
- Old TRIS Terms: Core analysis
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00615594
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-VTRC-91-R2
- Contract Numbers: 2676-054-940
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 30 1991 12:00AM