LATERAL BUCKLING OF HIGHWAY-BRIDGE GIRDERS
In the development of a computer program (SIMON) to design plate girders according to the load-factor specifications of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), questions arose regarding the lateral-buckling requirements. The AASHTO lateral-buckling equation was developed for prismatic flanges, and it was questioned whether it would be applicable to a stepped (nonprismatic) compression flange. Also, it was questioned whether the 20 percent increase in ultimate moment permitted by AASHTO was applicable to stepped flanges. To resolve these questions Research reviewed the basis for the AASHTO requirements and analyzed the buckling loads of stepped columns with various geometries. Based on these results, a design procedure was developed which relates the strength of a stepped flange to that of a prismatic flange. This procedure is now being used in the load-factor design portion of the computer program SIMON.
United States Steel Corporation125 Jamison Lane
Monroeville, PA USA 15146
- Carskaddan, P S
- Schilling, C G
- Publication Date: 1974-10-22
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Buckling; Computer programs; Flanges; Highway bridges; Load factor; Plate girders
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00097636
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: 22-G-001(019-3)
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1975 12:00AM