HISTORIC HIGHWAY BRIDGES OF CALIFORNIA
This book documents the results of a huge survey effort, funded by the Federal Highway Administration and implemented by the California Department of Transportation, to identify, document, and evaluate the historical significance of tens of thousands of highway bridges in California. It contains detailed information on dozens of the most significant bridges in the state, bridges that have been determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. An additional purpose of this book is to educate the public about the existence and the importance of historic bridges. The book is divided into four major parts. Chapters 1 and 2 give general historical background on the development of a highway system in California and the engineering profession and construction industry that built the bridges of California. Chapters 3 through 8 deal with major bridge types that have been built in California since the 1850s. Chapter 9 deals with the continuing--and not always successful--effort to preserve historic bridges, telling the story of important bridges that have been lost and other important bridges that have been preserved. The appendices that follow chapter 9 detail the methods used by Caltrans to locate, inventory, and evaluate historic bridges, offer a field guide to all historically significant bridges in California, and provide a glossary of bridge-related terms and a short list of references pertaining to the history of bridge building in California and the nation.
California Department of Transportation1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA United States 95814
- Mikesell, S D
- Publication Date: 1990
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References;
- Pagination: 195 p.
- TRT Terms: Arch bridges; Bridges; Concrete bridges; Contractors; Covered bridges; Data collection; Documents; Engineers; Highway bridges; Historic preservation; History; Inventory; Location; Movable bridges; Surveys; Suspension bridges; Truss bridges
- Uncontrolled Terms: Documentation
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Data and Information Technology; Design; Freight Transportation; Highways; History; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00611872
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 31 1991 12:00AM