SYNTHESIS OF TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT FOR MAJOR EMERGENCIES. INTERIM REPORT
This report presents a synthesis of issues, strategies, and procedures with respect to traffic management for major emergencies. The intent of the report is to provide the reader with an overview of the various concerns surrounding emergency traffic management planning and operations, and to illustrate the necessity of planning efforts by an agency in order to be truly prepared for any type of emergency. Traffic management requirements for an emergency can vary dramatically from event to event, ranging from the use of standard traffic control procedures and devices during a relatively localized emergency to the implementation of highly innovative and controversial practices that may be necessary for a particularly devasting or widespread emergency. It is hoped that the examples and points made in the synthesis will stimulate discussion and evaluation within an agency as to how it may utilize these or other techniques should the need arise.
- Research study title: Traffic Management Planning for Evacuations and Major Emergencies.
Texas Transportation InstituteTexas A&M University System, 1600 E Lamar Boulevard
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Federal Highway Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ullman, G L
- Trout, N D
- Urbanik II, Thomas
- Publication Date: 1991-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References;
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Detours; Disaster preparedness; Disasters and emergency operations; Earthquakes; Emergencies; Evacuation; Guidelines; Highway traffic control; Hurricanes; Planning; Progressive traffic signal control; Traffic control
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00611860
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-91/1231-1, Res Rept 1231-1, TTI: 2-18-90-1231
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-18-90-1231
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 31 1991 12:00AM