LNG CARRIERS: THE CURRENT STATE OF THE ART
This paper discusses in very broad terms some of the technical and operational aspects of LNG ships, in which there has recently been a great amount of interest. A short history of this type of vessel is given, as are concise descriptions of all the proprietary designs which have been constructed or are presently being offered. The operations which form the basis for LNG ship operation are discussed, and some of the features of cargo handling equipment and instrumentation, with particular emphasis on cargo measurement, are outlined briefly. A section is included which compares the requirements of the classification societies and regulatory bodies which have developed rules for the construction of LNG ships. The selection of containment systems is discussed in a section wherein the advantages and disadvantages of the various types of tank and insulation systems are commented upon. Other sections are devoted to the operating experience of ships built to date, power plant selection, economics and principal ship characteristics, and some of the pollution and safety problems that have been encountered. The paper is not intended to be a design manual for the LNG ship, nor does it delve exhaustively into the many technical and commercial details that abound in this type of ship. These are either closely held proprietary secrets, or have been discussed in detail by other authors. A selected bibliography is included to allow the reader to secure a fuller background in the technology involved in this sophisticated, specialized ship.
- Presented at the Annual Meeting of SNAME, November 11-12, 1971.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Thomas, WDuB
- Publication Date: 1971-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Liquefied gases; Liquefied natural gas; Reliability; Tankers; Tanks (Containers); Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo tanks; Tank construction
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00028627
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 10
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 10 1973 12:00AM