GUIDELINES AND STANDARDS FOR AIR POLLUTION CONTROL
The implementation of the Clean Air Act has resulted in air pollution control regulations and procedures that cover all areas of the country. These regulations apply to all sources of particulate matter, sulphur dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides. Of particular interest to those in the Limestone Industry are particulate regulations that usually take the form of limitations expressed in pounds/hour based on the weight of material processed, and limitations on the capacity of visible emissions. Federal New Source Performance Standards have been promulgated for a few industries and several more are iminent. The crushed stone and aggregate industry is a relatively large source of particulate matter and as such may be a candidate for development of Federal New Source Performance Standards. An industry understanding of State and Federal regulations is essential to the timely achievement of national clean air goals. This article reviews governments legislative actions in the sphere of air pollution control and gives details of the implementation of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (Section 110). Section 112 of the Clean Air Amendments which provides for the control of hazardous pollutants through the establishment of national emission standards, is discussed. State emission limitations hazardous pollutant standards and standards for new or substantially modified sources are summarized in tables.
- This report was presented at the National Limestone Institute 28th Annual Convention.
National Limestone Institute, Incorporated1315 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Walters, D F
- Publication Date: 1973-9
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- American Highway and Transportation Monthly
- Volume: 10
- Issue Number: 37
- Publisher: National Limestone Institute, Incorporated
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Air quality management; Carbon monoxide; Crushed rock; Guidelines; Hazards; Hydrocarbons; Implementation; Industries; Laws; Limestone; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Particulates; Standards; Sulfur dioxide
- Subject Areas: Economics; Geotechnology; Highways; Law; Research; Society;
- Accession Number: 00127597
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 16 2004 2:07AM