STUDY OF THE IMPROVEMENTS AND ADDITIONS TO BE MADE TO THE PROCEDURE FOR THE OFFICIAL APPROVAL OF VEHICLE NOISE LEVEL
ETUDE DES AMELIORATIONS ET COMPLEMENTS A APPORTER A LA PROCEDURE D'HOMOLOGATION DU NIVEAU SONORE DES VEHICULES
As a result of the reduction in limits on vehicle noise level applicable from 1988, the contribution of rolling (tyre/road) noise, is no longer regarded as negligible. Priority has been given to the study of its measurement and this paper examines the state of the art in the standardisation of evaluating surface conditions. Present knowledge regarding the contribution of tyre/road noise is reviewed and the influence of temperature and wind noted. Recommendations for a new surfacing for testing are given including the mix design and laying. The surface characteristics of the surfacing will have to be periodically controlled and recommendations are made for evaluating macrotexture, sound absorption and estimated tyre/road noise level at a given speed. Existing methods are described and improvements outlined. Also considered are spectrum analysis of the surfacing surface and measurement of the stiffness of the surfacing surface. This report was originally published in French for the French Ministry of Transport and Sea, Directorate for Safety and Road Traffic, by the Union Technique de L'Automobile du Motorcycle et du Cycle (Report No 18.104.22.1682/7259).
Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom
- Publication Date: 1990-6
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRRL TRANSLATION
- Publisher: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- TRT Terms: Absorption; Construction; Measurement; Mix design; Pavements; Rolling contact; Sound; Sound level; Stiffness; Temperature; Texture; Wearing course (Pavements); Wind
- Subject Areas: Construction; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00606610
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: T 3647
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 31 1991 12:00AM