SAFETY RESEARCH FOR A CHANGING HIGHWAY ENVIRONMENT. STRATEGIC TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH STUDY: HIGHWAY SAFETY
The purpose of this study was to examine how well the highway safety research community is prepared to address emerging safety problems and to capitalize on opportunities for their solution. The study was undertaken by a committee of the Transportation Research Board. The committee was particularly interested in how the research process could be better managed to encourage innovation and more effective use of resources. Specifically, the study committee (a) reviewed the characteristics and scale of existing highway safety problems and research, (b) identified promising areas for research that merit more attention or that warrant continuing study, and (c) examined the financial and institutional arrangements that may be needed to refocus research on these priorities. Chapter 1 of this report presents an overview of the highway safety problem, including a review of the magnitude of the highway safety problem and expected changes in system characteristics that are likely to affect the safety of motor vehicle travel in the future. In Chapter 2, the role and contribution of research to highway safety are examined, and the trends in research priorities and funding of the past 20 years are reviewed, on the basis of which critical gaps in current research programs are identified. Promising areas for research to address emerging safety problems are described in Chapter 3, and persistent safety problems are discussed in Chapter 4. Chapter 5 examines needed changes in the way that highway safety research is structured and Chapter 6, in the funding of research, to ensure that recommended changes in the direction of resarch can be sustained.
- Digital Copy:
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0309050561
- This was presented as a paper at the XIX th World Road Congress, Marrakech, 22-28 September 1991, by Thomas B. Deen, TRB.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1990
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 174 p.
- Transportation Research Board Special Report
- Issue Number: 229
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0360-859X
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Finance; Financing; Highway safety; Management; Planning; Problem identification; Problem solving; Research; Strategic planning; Trend (Statistics)
- Old TRIS Terms: Strategy
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Safety and Human Factors; I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00603195
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0-309-05056-1
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-041 042
- Files: HSL, TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Jan 31 1992 12:00AM