TRANSPORT ACT 1985. THE EFFECTS ON BUS SERVICE PROVISION IN STRATHCLYDE
In this report, the initial effects of bus service deregulation in the Strathclyde region of Scotland are described. Operated bus mileage increased by 13% in the Strathclyde region, of the inital mileage, 89% was operated on an unsubsidised basis by 83 operators in the region, 20 more than before deregulation. The remaining 11% of mileage was secured by the Public Transport Executives, through a process of competitive tendering. The overall service network has proved to be very unstable with a total of more than 2,000 notified changes to unsubsidised services in the region since 26 January 1987, at the end of the three month standstill period following deregulation. The largest mileage increases have been in the Glasgow sub region. Scotrail and Underground systems, which are both supported by Strathclyde Regional Council, appear to be retaining their market share in the face of competition from bus operators. Contracts to a total value of 37.4 million have been awarded for subsidised bus services and school transport. This report includes extracts from a report prepared by the Transport Studies Unit, from Oxford University, on monitoring effects of deregulation (see IRRD 811376).
Strathclyde Passenger Transport ExecutiveConsort House, 12 West George Street
Glasgow, ZZ Scotland
- Publication Date: 1987-11
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Competition; Deregulation; Financing; Level of service; Personnel; Public transit
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 1272: Bus; 235: Competition; 244: Financing; 653: Level of service; 102: Personnel; 744: Public transport; 8119: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00606040
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 31 1991 12:00AM