TRAFFIC AND ENVIRONMENT. A SAAB-SCANIA MEETING ON HARPSUND, 6 NOVEMBER 1989
TRAFIKEN OCH MILJOEN. MOETE PAA HARPSUND 6 NOVEMBER 1989
Petrol engines with catalytic converters emit insignificant nitrogen oxide, hydrocarbon (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO). For heavier vehicles diesel engines are the most efficient power unit. To eliminate air pollution, the following steps are necessary: 1) The stock of vehicles must be renewed. Using sulphur-free diesel of low aromatics content, modern diesel engine technology and catalysts, nitrogen oxide emission by buses and lorries can be cut by 60% and particulates by 85%; 2) By expanding public transport, bypasses and peripheral parking, car traffic in city centres can be drastically reduced. Only cars with catalysts should be permitted to enter; and 3) Streets must be utilised optimally. Acidification can be tackled by: a) fitting catalysts to vehicles; b) improving the road network: by removing weight restrictions, roads can be utilised more effectively and by removing obstacles, traffic flow can be smoothed; with catalysts, emissions are significant only when speed changes; and c) international cooperation is essential - 70% of nitrogen oxide in Sweden comes from abroad. Carbon dioxide emission is directly coupled with fuel consumption, which can be reduced by better engine-gear box interaction, reduced resistance, and development of turbo technology. An overall view must be taken with economic consequences being given great significance and safety issues being considered. To promote greater attention to environmental aspects, fixed vehicle charges must be replaced by fuel taxes.
Saab-Scania ABLinkoeping, Sweden
- Publication Date: 1989
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Carbon dioxide; Carbon monoxide; Catalysis; Cold starts (Driving); Development; Diesel engines; Driver support systems; Electric vehicles; Environment; Ethanol; Exhaust gases; Exhaust pipes; Fuel consumption; Hydrocarbons; Information processing; Motor vehicle navigational aids; Nitrogen; Oxides; Trucks
- Subject Areas: Energy; Motor Carriers;
- Accession Number: 00605847
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 31 1991 12:00AM