ALCOHOL RELATED FATAL MOTOR VEHICLE TRAFFIC ACCIDENT STUDY, MICHIGAN, JANUARY-DECEMBER 1989
This report presents and analyzes statistics on alcohol related fatal motor vehicle accidents in Michigan for the year 1989. All references to alcohol include drugs. Some highlights from the report are as follows: There were 651 alcohol related fatal traffic accidents out of a total of 1,463 fatal traffic accidents (44.5%) during the year 1989. Those 651 alcohol related accidents claimed a total of 738 lives, or 45.3% of the total highway fatalities. A total of 2,303 drivers were involved in fatal traffic accidents; 28.3%, or 651, of those drivers involved in fatal traffic accidents had been drinking. Of the 2,303 drivers who were involved in fatal accidents, 1,015 drivers, or 44.1%, had blood alcohol concentration (BAC) tests performed. Of the 934 drivers who received BAC tests and for which results were determined, 374, or 40.4%, exceeded .10% by weight, the legal presumptive level. Young drivers, aged 24 years and under, accounted for 36.4% of all "had been drinking" drivers in fatal accidents. Younger drivers had lower levels of alcohol in their blood, yet they had higher involvement in fatal accidents, strongly suggesting that young drivers are more vulnerable to traffic accidents when drinking is involved. Other statistics in this report show fatal accidents by accident type, by month, by time of day/day of week, by hazardous violations committed, and by county.
Michigan Department of State PoliceTraffic Services Division, 111 S Capitol Avenue
Lansing, MI United States 48913
- Publication Date: 1990
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Blood alcohol levels; Counties; Crash types; Drivers; Drugs; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Fatalities; Statistics; Time; Traffic violations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver age
- Geographic Terms: Michigan
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I81: Accident Statistics; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00608480
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-041 008
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1991 12:00AM