DEMONSTRATION PROJECT OF THE RECONSTRUCTION AND RECLASSIFICATION OF URBAN AREAS (IN THE MUNICIPALITIES OF EINDHOVEN AND RIJSWIJK). FINAL REPORT OF THE ACCIDENT STUDY
DEMONSTRATIEPROJECT HERINDELING EN HERINRICHTING VAN STEDELIJKE GEBIEDEN (IN DE GEMEENTEN RIJSWIJK EN EINDHOVEN): EINDRAPPORT VAN HET ONGEVALLEN ONDERZOEK
The accident study into the effect of traffic measures in the demonstration areas in the cities of Rijswijk and Eindhoven (executed during 1978-1981) has resulted in a reduction of the number of injury accidents in residential zones as well as in traffic zones. Traffic safety has also increased in the areas surrounding these zones. It is thought that the countermeasures have a favorable radiating effect. After the introduction of the countermeasures during 1982-1986 the number of injury accidents within the experimental traffic zone has decreased significantly more than in the control area. This decrease is even estimated to be as high as 16%. This decrease is especially great for the number of injury accidents in which motor vehicles only are involved. The decrease of the other injury accidents is also good, but less clear. It is concluded that speed limits and the prevention of through traffic in these areas have had the best results.
- U.S., Canada and Mexico sales only. All others refer to Institute for Road Safety Research SWOV, P.O. Box 170, 2260 AD Leidschendam, The Netherlands.
Institute for Road Safety Research, SWOVBezuidenhoutseweg 62
The Hague, Netherlands 2594 AW
- Janssen, STMC
- Verhoef, PJG
- Publication Date: 1989
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash types; Crash victims; Injuries; Reconstruction; Residential areas; Safety; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Transportation corridors; Urban areas; Urban growth
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Traffic zones
- Geographic Terms: Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Urban corridors
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00608318
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-89-27
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1991 12:00AM