ANALYSIS OF AUTOMATIC VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION (AVI) TECHNOLOGY AND ITS POTENTIAL APPLICATION ON FLORIDA'S TURNPIKE. SUMMARY REPORT
The Florida Department of Transportation, Office of Florida's Turnpike, contracted with the Center for Urban Transportation Research at the University of South Florida to conduct an analysis of automatic vehicle identification (AVI) and its potential application on Florida's Turnpike. The project included three distinct phases. Phase I consisted of a review of the state of the art of AVI technology, including a survey of vendors and operators of AVI systems to determine available technologies, system operating characteristics, and examples of applications nationwide. The information gathered in Phase I was compiled and presented in "Technical Memorandum #1." Phase II consisted of survey research relating to attitudes and characteristics of current Turnpike patrons. Phase III involved an evaluation of the specific application of AVI technology to Florida's Turnpike. The evaluation included a detailed consideration of issues related to the implementation of AVI. In addition, the results of surveys conducted and reviewed in Phase II were used to assess the market potential and anticipated level of participation in an AVI system. Finally, the specific costs and benefits of AVI were defined, enabling the determination of the cost-effectiveness of AVI. The results of Phase II and Phase III were summarized in "Technical Memorandum #2." This report summarizes the efforts of all three phases as compiled in the two technical memoranda.
University of South Florida, TampaCenter for Urban Transportation Research, 4202 East Fowler Avenue
Tampa, FL United States 33620-5375
- Publication Date: 1991
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Applications; Attitudes; Automatic vehicle identification; Benefits; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Data collection; Implementation; Markets; Operations; State of the art studies; Surveys; Technology; Toll roads
- Uncontrolled Terms: Operational analysis
- Geographic Terms: Florida
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Vehicles and Equipment; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00607971
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 30 1991 12:00AM