A COMPUTER-AIDED DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEM FOR MAKING LOCATIONAL DECISIONS
This report is the product of a first-year research project in the University Transportation Centers Program. This project was carried out by an interdisciplinary research team at The University of Iowa's Public Policy Center. The project developed a computerized system to support decisions on locating facilities that serve rural areas while minimizing transportation costs. The system integrates transportation databases with algorithms that specify efficient locations and allocate demand efficiently to service regions; the results of these algorithms are used interactively by decision makers. The authors developed documentation for the system so that others could apply it to estimate the transportation and route requirements of alternative locations and identify locations that meet certain criteria with the least cost. The system was developed and tested on two transportation-related problems in Iowa, and this report uses these applications to illustrate how the system can be used.
- This study was funded by the University Transportation Centers Program of the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Iowa Department of Transportation.
University of Iowa, Iowa CityPublic Policy Center
227 South Quadrangle
Iowa City, IA United States 52242-1192
- Rushton, G
- Armstrong, M P
- Dalziel, B
- De, S
- Densham, P J
- Lolonis, P
- Honey, R
- Horowitz, J
- Publication Date: 1990-7
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Algorithms; Databases; Decision making; Facilities; Information processing; Rural areas; Transportation planning; Universities and colleges
- Geographic Terms: Iowa
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00607237
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 30 1991 12:00AM