BENEFICIAL USES OF SULPHUR IN SULPHUR-ASPHALT PAVEMENTS. VOLUME 3: TASK 3: PRELIMINARY DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION AND QUALITY CONTROL PROCEDURES
This effort which represents the third phase of a study to provide a preliminary comparison of the engineering characteristics of sand-asphalt sulphur (S-A-S) with conventional asphaltic concrete pavements, presents a users manual and sets forth some preliminary specifications and recommended procedures for selecting an optimum mix design and constructing highway pavements with S-A-S composites. The manual on "Recommended Practices" explains the engineering, economic and econlogical basis of the specifications and offers recommendations for the accomplishment of these requirements. Considerable information on sulphur is included, and details are presented on the preparation of paving mixtures, expecially emphasizing tolerances and the effect of variations on the properties of the finished pavement. Paving equipment is reviewed. The manual on "Construction Specification" provides the basis for a contractual agreement between the constructor of the highway demonstration facility and the sponsor of the project. The "Quality Control" manual relates largely to the paving materials and to the sampling and testing of these materials and compositions therefrom. Raw materials, pavement mix design, and field sampling and testing are covered.
- Sponsored by Bureau of Mines and the Sulphur Institute.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Gallaway, B M
- Saylak, D
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 101 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Asphalt; Asphalt concrete; Asphaltic sand; Benefits; Contracting; Ecology; Economics; Field tests; Manuals; Mix design; Pavements; Pavers; Paving; Properties of materials; Quality control; Sand; Specifications; Sulfur; Tolerances (Engineering)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Comparative analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Tolerances
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00097488
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM