SIMS OVERVIEW. SERVICE, INVENTORY, AND MAINTENANCE SYSTEM
UMTA's Transit Operations and Management (TOMS) project includes the development of a maintenance management information system for use by the urban mass transportation industry in the maintenance of bus fleets. The service, Inventory,and Maintenance System (SIMS) has been developed to operate as a software package at computer service bureaus or on computers operated by transit properties. SIMS consists of a package of computer programs written on ANSI COBOL language and currently operates on an IBM 360/50 or larger computer. Practical design has been enhanced by experience from field tests at the Dallas Transit System (DTS) of Dallas, Trexas and Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (ACTD) of Oakland, California. The system has been operating daily at both DTS and ACTD on a demonstration basis. This report provides an overview of the system using illustrations of the reports produced by SIMS. Information displayed on the reports allows management to plan repair actions, avoid road calls and control expenses. The Service module helps to identify consumption of oil and coolant. Transit property stock room supplies are monitored through the use of the SIMS Inventory module. The Maintenance (Repair Cost) module provides repair costs data for individual buses and divisions, segregating costs into subassemblies, inspections, accidents, and vandalism repairs, and provides information about total maintenance labor utilization. Appendices contain computer requirements and glossary.
- This report was sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration, Department of Transportation.
Mitre Corporation1820 Dolley Madison Boulevard
McLean, VA United States 22102
- Thurlow, V S
- Publication Date: 1973-10
- Pagination: 56 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Computer programs; Maintenance management; Management information systems; Operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Maintenance costs
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00097469
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-VA-06-0004-73-5
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 2003 12:00AM