OPERATIONS ANALYSIS OF MARITIME TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS, REPORT ON FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS OF AN IMPROVED SYSTEM ON TRADE ROUTES 7 & 8
Functional requirements for an improved maritime system for trade routes 7 and 8 consist of a definition of work to be performed by the system and the environment in which the system is to operate. Receipt, loading, transportation, discharge, and dispatch of quantities of various cargoes between specific ports at a given frequency comprise the work to be performed by the system. The environmental factors which will affect the system are conditions, limitations, and practices in the ports to be served and weather and sea conditions on the route. Both trade routes are similar with respect to distance, number of ports, and types of cargo. Trade route 8 was selected for the improved system due to the higher volume of commercial liner cargo, greater room for improvement in the competitive position of the U.S. flag ships, and a better balance of commercial and defense cargo.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number V-5240-1, Trade Routes 7 & 8.
Sharp (George G) Incorporated30 Church Street
New York City, NY United States 10007
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA United States 02140
- Publication Date: 1962-4-27
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: International trade; Marine terminals; Port structures; Ports; Shipping; Systems analysis; Trade routes; Transportation; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation system analysis
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00027628
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: V-5240-1
- Contract Numbers: MA-2451
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM