OPERATIONS ANALYSIS OF MARITIME TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS, REPORT ON FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS OF AN IMPROVED SYSTEM ON TRADE ROUTE 29
Functional requirements for an improved maritime system for trade route 29 consist of a definition of work to be performed by the system, and the environment in which the system is to operate. The work to be performed includes receipt, loading, transportation, discharge, and dispatch of quantities of various cargoes between specific ports at a given frequency. The environmental factors which will affect the system are conditions, limitations, and practices in the ports to be served, and weather and sea conditions on the route. At present there are about a dozen American flag freighter services on trade route 29 competing against a much larger group of foreign services, mainly Japanese. Selection of service for this route has been confined to ports in California, Japan, Korea, Okinawa, and Taiwan. A base system for the service reflects methods of practice, schedule factors, and utilization of ships corresponding to the present or contemplated for the near future.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number V-5240-1, Trade Route 29.
Sharp (George G) Incorporated100 Church Street
New York, NY United States 10007
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA United States 02140
- Publication Date: 1961-8-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: International trade; Marine terminals; Port structures; Ports; Shipping; Systems analysis; Trade routes; Transportation; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation system analysis
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00027627
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: V-5240-1
- Contract Numbers: MA-2451
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM