OPERATIONS ANALYSIS OF MARITIME TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS, DESCRIPTION AND ECONOMICS OF AN IMPROVED SYSTEM ON TRADE ROUTE 10
This report, the second of two parallel reports which together will comprise Phase 4 of the Selected Routes Study, describes an improved system on Trade Route 10 and its economic impact. The basic point made is that a fleet of ships specifically designed to permit rapid handling of unitized cargo, and thus fast port turnaround, would make possible a substantial reduction in total cost of operation (compared to the current replacement fleet) as well as a significantly higher return on investment; and this superiority would tend to increase in the future. It is concluded, however, that with regard to the Warehouse Ship concept, there is a definite need for a more explicit and tangible demonstration of the manner in which the cargo would be loaded, stowed, and discharged under various circumstances.
- This document is available for review at the Department of D.C., under reference number V-5240-1-D10.
Sharp (George G) Incorporated30 Church Street
New York City, NY USA 10007
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA USA 02140
- Publication Date: 1964-3-20
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo ships; Operations research; Shipping; Systems analysis; Trade routes; Transportation; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation system analysis
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00027626
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: V-5240-1
- Contract Numbers: MA-2451
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM