OPERATIONS ANALYSIS OF MARITIME TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS REPORT ON IMPROVED SYSTEMS FOR TRADE ROUTE 8
A study on preliminary improved systems for trade route 8 is designed to meet the functional requirements of the route and make evaluations, including estimates of the economics, to indicate the approximate degree of improvement over the conventional system. Various advanced system concepts are reviewed with the objective of selecting those offering the best possibility for improvement of service on the route. The selection of trade route 8 was heavily influenced by the degree to which mechanization, automation, and technological improvements could be utilized, and the opportunity for an expanded share of trade. The physical characteristics of the trade, the route, the ports, and their inland transportation links, as well as the attitudes of government, labor and industry appear amenable to the initiation of new systems. This report is based on the "Report on Functional Requirements of an Inproved System on Trade Routes 7 & 8", dated April 27, 1962, which contains supporting background information.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number V-5240-1-I8.
Sharp (George G) Incorporated100 Church Street
New York, NY United States 10007
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA United States 02140
- Publication Date: 1962-11-15
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 197 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight transportation; International trade; Trade routes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cargo flow
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00027622
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: V-5240-1
- Contract Numbers: MA-2451
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM