NUCLEAR MERCHANT SHIP REACTOR FINAL SAFEGUARDS REPORT. VOLUME 1: DESCRIPTION OF THE NS SAVANNAH
This part of the final safeguards report for the nuclear merchant ship reactor presents a description of the N.S. Savannah, discussing the ship and its power plant, with particular emphasis on those features which are pertinent to the vessel's safe operation. The ship description includes: hull structure and compartments; deck arrangements; machinery spaces; reactor compartment and secondary shield; and ship control and communications equipment. The power plant description focuses on: the propulsion system; reactor assembly and coolant system; reactor plant auxiliary and control systems; containment vessel; fixed radiation monitoring system; shielding; radioactive waste management; and power plant auxiliary systems. Appendices provide data on error analysis, a list of penetrations, and radiation damage to the reactor vessel.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number BAW-1164-Vol-1.
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyAtomic Energy Division
Lynchburg, VA USA 24504
- Kulynych, G E
- Publication Date: 1960-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 228 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Design; Nuclear power; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Radiation doses; Safety; Standards
- Uncontrolled Terms: Safety standards
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor design; Radiological safety
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00027600
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: BAW-1164 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-274
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM