MARITIME REACTOR PROJECT, ANNUAL PROGRESS REPORT FOR PERIOD ENDING NOVEMBER 30, 1960
A summary of the continued technical assistance provided by Oak Ridge National Laboratory to the development of the N.S. Savannah is presented. During the specified period, a design review was made of the Core 2 design, fabrication specifications and test work. Experimental measurements were made of the Core 2 UO2 fuel pellets and results indicate that the N.S. Savannah oxide compares favorably with other oxide fuels. The development of improved waste disposal techniques was completed. Work on advanced fuel materials consisted of metallurgical investigations of alternate fabrication methods for encapsulating UO2 in stainless steel. The construction of the pressurized-water in-pile test loop was completed and operation has begun. A schematic diagram of the loop is provided.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number ORNL-3046.
Oak Ridge National LaboratoryDepartment of Energy
Oak Ridge, TN United States 37831
UNION CARBIDE CORPORATIONOAK RIDGE, TN United States
- McCurdy, H C
- Publication Date: 1961-1-17
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Nuclear fuels; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor cores; Nuclear reactors
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor design
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00027562
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: ORNL-3046 Annual Rpt
- Contract Numbers: W-7405-eng-26
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM