DESIGN STUDY. VOLUME 6: SUB CONTRACTOR REPORTS
This volume contains the following subcontractor reports: (1) Lift and Drag Characteristics of the Proposed Hydrofoil Assembly for the 80-Knot MARAD boat (Davidson Laboratory); (2) Investigation and Preliminary Design of Several Tail Assemblies for the MARAD 80-Knot Hydrofoil Craft (Hydronautics); (3) Estimated Characteristics of Some Supercavitating Propellers for an 80-Knot Hydrofoil Craft (Hydronautics); and (4) Report of Design Study to Convert MARAD Hydrofoil Transmission System from 60-Knot to 80-Knot Configuartaion (GE). The first report determines lift and drag characteristics of the MARAD boat hydrofoil assembly at various submergences and angles of attack. Testing was done on the take-off foil along with some additional testing on the cruise and take-off foil combination. The second report determines the feasibility of an 80-knot tail assembly within the control of transmission system size and strength requirements. The third report provides studies of propeller performance in connection with research and design studies of pods, struts, and tail foils. The fourth report determines a method or methods which would permit the 60-knot MARAD main transmission system to be used as part of the craft steering mechanism for application as part of the 80-Knot transmission system.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number D-9-D-Vol-6.
Dynamic Developments, Incorporated,
- Publication Date: 1961-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 127 p.
- Volume: 6
- TRT Terms: Design; Feasibility analysis; Hydrofoil boats; Propellers
- Old TRIS Terms: Hydrofoil craft; Propeller characteristics
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00027528
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-2315
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM