DESIGN STUDY. VOLUME 2. AUTOMATIC CONTROL SYSTEM. FINAL REPORT
The report describes the work performed in defining the hydrofoil control problem relative to operational requirements utilizing simple, effective, and reliable control loops. A description of the automatic control system proposed for the 80 knot version of the HS Denison, the analytical work, and the performance evaluation performed in support of the engineering decisions is presented in this volume. The proposed autopilot is described in terms of: 1) hydrofoil craft control problems; 2) autopilot configuration; 3) system operation; 4) foil actuators; and 5) safety and reliability. The craft and system analyses are discussed in two main sections, longitudinal and lateral. Schematics are given for both the longitudinal and lateral control systems. Also presented is a discussion of craft impact in two emergency situations. A set of system components specifications based upon the outlined requirements concludes this volume of the report.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number D-9-D-Vol-2.
Dynamic Developments, Incorporated,
- Publication Date: 1961-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 152 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Automatic pilot (Aircraft); Automatic pilot (Ships); Hydrofoil boats; Ship pilotage
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic control systems; Hydrofoil control; Hydrofoil craft
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00027524
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-2315
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM