A PROGRAM OF EXPERIMENTS INVOLVING CHANGES IN TERMINAL OPERATIONS - 1974 PROGRESS REPORT
The railroad industry's Labor/Management Committee, which is comprised of the chief executives of railroads and labor organizations, has established a number of labor/management programs to work on specific problem areas. The St. Louis Terminal Project is one such activity. This report elaborates on the objectives, techniques and progress that has been made. A Task Force on Terminals was established by the Labor/Management Committee with the objective of increasing the reliability, speed and efficiency of car movements through a major existing railroad terminal without capital expenditures. This objective is being achieved through a series of experiments involving changes to terminal operations. Missouri Pacific St. Louis Terminal Division was selected as the laboratory for this experimentation. A Project Team was formed to head up the project. The Project Director and Associate Director were recruited from the ranks of management and labor. Early in the program it was realized that a formal analytical search should be undertaken to identify these changes in operations that will make the most appropriate experiments. To facilitate problem identification and the measurement of quantitative impact of experiments, a computerized car movement evaluation system was developed which is described in Appendix A of this report. Several experiments involving both labor agreements and operating practices have been completed which have significantly improved car movements within the terminal. As a result, negotiations between labor and management are now in progress for the purpose of revising these agreements and operating practices.
- Inquires should be made to FRA, in care of D. M. Collins, Secretary, Task Force on Terminals. This report was sponsored by Railroad Labor Organizations, Missouri Pacific Railroad, Association of American Railroads and Federal Railroad Administration.
Washington, DC United States 20690
- Publication Date: 1975-2-25
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 159 p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Labor unions; Management; Planning; Productivity; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Yard operations
- Identifier Terms: Missouri Pacific Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Saint Louis (Missouri)
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning; Operating strategies; Yard and terminal control
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00097305
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Missouri Pacific Railroad Company
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-4-3003, EB-400-0-ARR-849
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1975 12:00AM