HALF MILLION TON CRUDE CARRIERS AND ABOVE
The purpose of the present paper is mainly to examine the extent to which the trend towards bigger and still bigger ships is expected to continue. Therefore it is of primary importance to study how transportation costs vary according to various parameters. To be able to draw curves of transportation cost versus deadweight from 280,000 tonnes to 1,000,000 tonnes, it is necessary to know prices of ships with accuracy. Chantiers del'Atlantiques specialise in building large ocean energy carriers, crude tankers and LNG tankers. Three 550,000 tonnes dwt tankers are now on order, the first of them to be delivered at the beginning of 1976. Studies have been undertaken to determine dimensions, weights and cost of a tanker of approximately 1,000,000 tonnes dwt. In the second and third parts of the paper, the main technology of 550,000 tonnes and 1,000,000 tonnes dwt tankers is described, but no details are given as they are not within the scope of this study. IMCO rules concerning segregated ballast tanks were known in late 1973 but are incorporated in the main considerations of the paper; however, in the fourth part, some examples of the impact of the new rules are given.
- Presented at the 1974 West European Conference on Marine Technology. Available as complete volume at $50.00 (10 papers).
Marine Media Management, Limited76 Mark Lane
London EC3R 7JW, England
- Coune, J
- Beghin, D
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: 10 p.
- West European Conference on Marine Technology (74)
- Publisher: Marine Media Management, Limited
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Ships); Construction; Costs; Tankers; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs; Transportation costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Segregated ballast tankers
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Construction; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00099936
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: PTJ Publishing Incorporated
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1975 12:00AM