ANALYTICAL DATA ON MARINE ACCIDENTS PERTAINING TO OCEAN VESSELS WITH 5000 TONS DISPLACEMENT AND OVER. PROJECT 2. VOLUME 1. 1954 ACCIDENTS
The project delineates accident causation factors and enumerates the extent of damage sustained by conventionally powered vessels. The data presented should make it possible for others to evaluate the overall hazards to nuclear powered vessels and subsequently utilize this information in determining safety considerations which may be incorporated into design and operating criteria. This is accomplished through the presentation of analytical data compiled from the publisher's records and survey reports for year 1954. Four type categories of vessels are dealt with: 1) passenger; 2) tankers; 3) passenger/general cargo (12 or less passengers); and 4) miscellaneous. Accidents are, in turn, separated into the following causes of damage: 1) collisions (two vessels); 2) strikings; 3) grounding and stranding; 4) heavy weather; 5) fire and explosion; 6) stevedore, crew, and unknown; 7) propulsion machinery and auxiliaries; and 8) shipyard legal liability. Each damage reviewed is treated as an individual case and covers vessel particulars, circumstances of the accident, detailed extent of damage, and the cost of repair. This particular volume treats passenger and tanker vessels.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number U-4-P-54-Vol-1. See MRIS-027509, Vol 2.
United States Salvage Association Incorporated99 John Street
New York, NY United States
- Publication Date: 1958-12-1
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 258 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash causes; Crash data; Crashes; Fires; Groundings (Maritime crashes); Statistics
- Old TRIS Terms: Collision statistics; Fire statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00027506
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: MA-1689
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1973 12:00AM