TEST OF SUSTAMID JOINT BARS FOR 129 LB. TR RAIL
The joints were made of sustamid special type 0.4K 88/04K90. The joint was applied to 129 lb. TR rail ends furnished by the Burlington Railroad. The large deflection this joint takes under load will result in putting larger loads on the ties supporting the joint and increase the track maintenance required. It will also have poor strength to resist high loads that may be imposed under unusual conditions, such as excessive play in track and large lateral forces from poor alignment or equipment nosing action. Further tests were not deemed worthwhile.
- Conducted under sponsorship of AREA Committee 4 - Rail, New Methods of Insulating Rail Joints.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Publication Date: 1961-1
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric insulating materials; Insulating materials; Insulation systems; Joints (Engineering); Plastics; Rail joints
- Uncontrolled Terms: Insulated joints
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00097261
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: ER-6
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1976 12:00AM