LABORATORY INVESTIGATION TO DETERMINE THE REPEATED LOAD STRENGTH OF TIMBER IN COMPRESSION PERPENDICULAR TO THE GRAIN
This is a report of progress in the investigation to determine the repeated load strength of timber in compression perpendicular to the grain. A simulated stringer cap bearing is used with full-size members. The results of the tests indicate that a much longer life with less total deformation of the stringer cap bearing surface could be expected when the growth rings in the stringers and cap are oriented 90 degrees relative to the bearing surface, as compared to a 45 degrees orientation.
- Conducted under sponsorship of AREA Committee 7 - Wood Bridges and Trestles.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Publication Date: 1961-1
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 3 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Load transfer; Loads; Stringers; Wooden bridges
- Uncontrolled Terms: Loading
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge stringers
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00097260
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: ER-3
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1975 12:00AM