METRICATION - MANAGING THE INDUSTRIAL TRANSITION
Twenty one papers are presented here which document the importance of standards activities to metrication, of metrication to standards activities, and indicate the need for a nationally coordinated metrication program covering all sectors of society. The background and perspective to the U.S. situation is described, and the role of government in the changeover as well as the timetable for such a changeover is examined. The purposes, policies and progress of the American National Metric Council are reviewed. The International System of Units (SI) is described in detail, and the importance of metric engineering standards in metric conversion is discussed. The British industrial program for metrication is outlined, and the Canadian experience is described. The history of the ANSI-Optimum Metric Fastener System is traced. The implications of developing a metric product standard are considered. Details are given of the metrication in the United Kingdom construction industry, and the unique problems of the contact tool, die, and precision machine industry are described. The impact of metric conversion on packaging and allied industries is discussed. Details are given of the Livermore plan for managing transition in a multi-discipline research and development environment. Case histories are presented of seven companies which include motor companies, an electronic company, a construction company, and a tractor company.
- A symposium presented at the 77th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Testing and Materials, Washington, D.C., 24-25 June 1974.
American Society for Testing and Materials100 Barr Harbor Drive, P.O. Box C700
West Conshohocken, PA United States 19428-2957
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 329 p.
- ASTM Special Technical Publications
- Issue Number: 574
- Publisher: American Society for Testing and Materials
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Construction industry; Development; Engineering; Governments; Industries; International compacts; Machines; Manufacturing; Metric system; Packaging; Research; Standards
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Engineering standards
- Subject Areas: Construction; Freight Transportation; Highways; Research;
- Accession Number: 00099741
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1975 12:00AM