ECONOMIC AND ENGINEERING ANALYSIS OF SEASONAL LOAD RESTRICTIONS ON NORTH DAKOTA HIGHWAYS
In an effort to review the present spring load restriction policies and reassess their economic feasibility, a study was performed to establish the economic potential lost by the trucking industry (ultimately the state) due to reduced loads required during the restriction season (of March, April and May) and weighed against the potential loss to the state if there were no restrictions. The study reviewed the historical development of highway and rail transportation, examined marketing practices and trends in the movement of commercial and agricultural products, and analysed the freignt rate and the volume and value of commerce conducted by trucking. Transportation costs were studied, as well as highway development costs, investment, and financial resources. Available data and past experience regarding use and nonuse of spring load restrictions and discussed. Information gathered in the study are set forth. This information which is specific to the North Dakota State Highway system, relates to the following: duration of load restriction, vehicle miles, agricultural commodity movement, commercial product movement, direction and distribution of travel, axle loadings, truck weights, economic loss, highway costs, highway investment, highway financing capabilities, and potential loss in highway investment. The consideration of certain factors (relating to legislation, the necessity of restrictions, stage construction, and the development of load-free system) led to the conclusion that measures intermediate between complete removal and continuation of present load restrictions will provide a realistic solution. Recommendations are made which reflect this conclusion.
North Dakota State Highway DepartmentPlanning Division, 600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND United States 58505
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 125 p.
- TRT Terms: Agriculture; Analysis; Axle loads; Construction management; Economics; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Highways; Laws; Load limits; Marketing; Seasons; Trade; Transportation; Transportation engineering; Trucks; Vehicle miles of travel
- Uncontrolled Terms: Stage construction
- Old TRIS Terms: Truck laws & regulations
- Subject Areas: Economics; Geotechnology; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00097161
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Nov 5 1975 12:00AM