FUNCTIONAL AND ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF MERCHANT SHIP MANEUVERING SYSTEMS
Examination of maneuvering and control system performance on merchant ships was made to determine system efficiency and economy. Following selection of a ship with the desired characteristics, a maneuvering system components study was made and necessary instrumentation was obtained for performance data acquisition. System performance was observed under all normal operating conditions for comparison with predicted performance. Results of observations and measurements indicated the maneuvering system was capable of generating undesirable ship motions not related to its basic function. Additional instrumentation development and a second series of shipboard measurements investigated possible counteraction methods. Recommendations are presented for changes in the maneuvering control systems, maneuvering machinery, and hydrodynamic characteristics of the control surfaces.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number T-3-F.
Taggart (Robert) Incorporated3930 Walnut Street
Fairfax, VA United States 22030
- Publication Date: 1968-10-15
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 130 p.
- TRT Terms: Maneuvering; Rudders; Ship pilotage
- Old TRIS Terms: Rudder control systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00027096
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: MA-4286
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 15 1973 12:00AM